Friday 7 October 2011

Does your vocal tone improve when your voice changes?

I really don't like my voice... I wish I did, but I'm really inconsistent and I'm sure I will completely embarrass myself when singing in front of other people. After all, if I don't like it, how can I think other people will?

I take voice lessons and practice and all that but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I can hit the notes and stay on-key and I read music, but it just sounds bad. Too breathy, not sweet sounding or nice or anything (at least in my opinion).

I'm still a teen and I've been told that my voice still has natural changes to make until I'm completely grown, but will that help my tone at all? I've been thinking it will and I've been looking forward to it, but I don't know if I will be disappointed....

It's been breaking a lot lately and it doesn't feel very comfortable and stable and easy to control, so I was thinking maybe it is in the process of changing...

Do you think that is true? And if it is, will it help me?



Would like the help adult or experienced singers.....



thanks.
Does your vocal tone improve when your voice changes?
To answer your question in the most straight forward way possible. The answer is...Yes! Yes it will. The first answer is a good answer. I would suggest thinking of you voice just like anything else. The more you work on it, the better it gets. You just do not become naturally muscular or flexible. Some people have natural tendencies that may make them stronger or more flexible than others, but if you keep working you -will- see the results. Just make sure you are doing it right.
Does your vocal tone improve when your voice changes?
First thing first: You have to believe in yourself. If you're already doubting yourself before you begin singing, no one else will believe you. So think of your voice as an ever-changing instrument. I certainly don't sound the way I did when I was 17 (back then I was singing coloratura soprano - think Traviata. Now I sing Carmen. HUGE changes!)

Next, your voice is definitely going to change. Your job right now is to find a place where you're comfortable singing. This means that you should look for and practice different kinds of music. Maybe the music you're singing now is too light (pop music) or too heavy (Wagner) and that's why you're not comfortable. My voice teacher told me a long time ago to close my eyes and imagine what my voice would sound like in ten years. Then feel that strength and power and control that ten years would make. Then sing. It worked every time. As a matter of fact, 10 years later, I do sound strong, powerful, and I can control my voice.

If your voice is cracking, make sure you're not just warming up because your teacher said to, but that you're warming up and listening and feeling what your voice is doing. This means that you are aware of what isn't working, of what feels easy, and if it doesn't sound right, do it again. If you're having a problem being aware, close your eyes and sing. For whatever reason, you can focus a little more on what's going on if you don't have visual stimulation.

On the cracking, make sure you're taking a good breath and that you sing with your feet firmly planted and shoulders not moving. Practice singing high and low and everything in between.

Most important, give yourself time to grow. Your voice can and will change as you get older, but you can't push it without risking permanent damage. Stay relaxed when you sing and don't carry tension in your throat or your body - this creates bad habits that take years to fix. And remember, you may not like your voice, but you never know who loves it!
Since tone is your problem, you should focus on how you resonate. Keep a good straight posture when you sing, and sing from the diaphragm, breathing DOWN and OUT rather than UP.



When you sing, don't focus so much on volume or keeping yourself reigned in with your 'uncomfortable' tone. Focus instead on making every note you sing resonate in the top of your mouth- so thick you can roll them around like candy. Focusing on that will create a steady tone.



Make sure to do scales and any piece you can that builds your range, because that will center and solidify you much more as well.



Your voice could be changing, but that's not a problem really. I'm a guy (from your name I assume you're a girl, and we have much more violently annoying voice changes) and I sang right through my voice change. Actually, with my practice on that stuff, I kept my voice from cracking in normal speech, which was an unusual side effect.



Any other qs feel free to email.



Hope that works well.
  • Ideas for a Summer quilt layout
  • What are duvet covers
  •