Wednesday 21 September 2011

How do I make my speaking voice more resonant?

I'm a 17 year old male, with a very quiet (almost inaudible at times) speaking voice. I picked up Morton Coopers Change Your Voice book but it hasn't really helped me so far. Could anybody recommend an e-course, a book or something that can teach me to project my voice? I'm not a singer so please don't suggest singing courses unless they are designed for speakers aswell. Thanks !!
How do I make my speaking voice more resonant?
You would truly be amazed how much articulation does for your projection. For example, when speaking to people hard of hearing, it is often much more beneficial to speak slower and clearer than it is for you to simply speak louder.



Enunciate your consonants - crisp t, d, g, and k sounds, for example. The consonants at the end of words are often dropped off - this is what happens, for example, when people mumble.



Practice reading aloud. If you have a tape recorder (or a microphone on your computer), record it and play it back to become more comfortable with how you sound. Practice speaking in public in small ways - be the guy in the group who volunteers to talk to the hostess at a restaurant, for example.



Ask a local theatre director, or even a local choral director for a quick session. They have a trained ear, and often they can pick out things about the way you speak that you can not.



And always stand up straight, head up and level. Often times people lower their head when they speak, or slouch, which means the sound waves go to the floor, the wall, the person's chest - not toward their ears as they should.



Best of luck.
How do I make my speaking voice more resonant?
Just remember to be confident.

Although there may be some amazing course or book out there, nothing can help you as much as confidence (of course, not arrogance)

and you know what they always say...

practice practice practice!!