Saturday 24 September 2011

What is it like to get your tonsils out?

I have to get a tonsilectimy soon (in about 2 weeks). I'm kind of afraid that it will hurt a lot. Or that my voice will sound really different when I get my tonisls and adnoid out. What generally happens when you get your tonsils removed? How long does it take to recover? And how much does your voice change? (I'm a singer, so this concerns me especially.) Thanks!
What is it like to get your tonsils out?
Mine are still in.. and hubby removed his own:

when he was a little kid, he put his mouth over the spout of a steaming teapot, and yep - steamed them clear off! Doctors said he was lucky, as that was all he did. Ate ice cream, popsicles, and was actually f.i.n.e.

You'll be fine as well luv. It is said that it takes adults a bit longer to heal than it does for kids. You'll feel sore, but follow what they tell you to do, down to the last letter. If a kid can do it, so can you %26lt;winks%26gt;.

What sort of music do you sing?
What is it like to get your tonsils out?
Well obviously it will hurt a bit. But to be honest as for all your other concerns. There should be no variation in those.



Had mine out years ago. But know someone who had it done recently. Was in and out of hospital quickly. Back to work with in a week.
What you're going to have is a T%26amp;A - tonsillectomy %26amp; adenoidectomy. During the procedure you will be anesthetized, asleep and will feel nothing. Afterwards, when the anesthesia wears off, you will be in pain. You will be given a prescription for a pain med. Take it. You sound like you're at least a teenager so you should know that the older you are, the harder it is on you. A 2-3 week full recovery isn't abnormal for an older person. You will not want to swallow but it will important that you take clear liquids for the first few days and you may wish to follow a liquid diet for up to a week. Water, broth, jello, etc. Advance your diet to full liquids and then soft foods as tolerated. You'll be given postop instructions that include diet and care as well as precautions and when to have your postop follow up with your surgeon. Ice cream may be too painful at first. Bed rest, avoid bending and lifting. Expect some bleeding at first. With the surgical equipment available these days, bleeding is at a minimum if at all. You'll survive.





This procedure has nothing to do with the vocal cords.
Speaking from a perspective of having had my tonsils out some 40+ years ago, I would say yes, your throat will be sore at first. I think I missed about a week of school. I suspect that the doctors today can deal with the %26quot;discomfort%26quot; better than they did when I had my tonsilectomy. I doubt there will be much if any change to your voice, as the surgery is well above your vocal cords.



The other thing I remember is being promised ahead of time that I would be allowed to have all the icecream I wanted, but having no interest at first in eating anything, not even icecream. I think after about a week I was more or less back to normal.



You should discuss your concerns with your doctor. I am sure he or she can help you with them.
Your throat will be a bit sore for a few days. But I had noticably more energy within 2 days, (from getting those infected things out), so the soreness didn't really bother me after 2-3 days. Your voice shouldn't change at all. Just watch what you eat, no really salty or acidic foods. Some people loved ice cream, but the cold, made my throat hurt worse. You'll just need to check that on your own.
  • name of italian
  • what kind of snakes are
  •