Saturday 24 September 2011

I'm curious...what is the average highest belted note? Or when do you normally change to your "head voice?!?

I was wondering, what is the average time when girls changes from her chest or highest belted note to their head voice? I change around C5 or D5 the C or D above middle C. Is that normal? I really want to learn to belt or sing much higher notes instead of changing to my head voice...I heard people do mixed voice...but I would be the happiest person alive if I could hit higher notes in my chest voice/belting voice...I'm a soprano and my range is F3 to at least C6 (high C) when I'm not warmed up. And I am untrained as well...also I've heard many people say that are sopranos %26quot;they are singing so high%26quot; (in their chest voice) and I always think that is so funny cuz I know that soprano is the highest or first soprano. Also, can mezzo soprano's belt higher notes in their chest voice more then sopranos? And how come certain people like Whitney houston and such can belt super high notes in their %26quot;chest voice%26quot; such as F# or something? Professional advice please!
I'm curious...what is the average highest belted note? Or when do you normally change to your %26quot;head voice?!?
most classical singers would agree that trying to take the belting voice up any higher than you already do will be harmful to your voice.

Most sopranos have a three or four part register. The lowest, or what's often called chest voice, is what is used for belting. Mixed voice usualy starts at the Eb 4 and goes up to the F 5. the high register starts at F or F# 5 and runs up to the high C or C6. The whistle register, which is not as common as Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston would have us think, starts beyond the High C. Not all women get there.

there is a sub division for sopranos who have more %26quot;weight%26quot; in their voice, and that starts just where you say your belting voice stops, at the C# or D4. This upper-middle refgister is where we notice that we need more body and breath energy, and that we need to start opening up in the throat ( sometimes by letting go of the lower jaw, sometimes by letting go of the muscles under the tongue, or both) to let the sound out freely. This double aciton shift allows the upper or head voice to happen without so much of that %26quot;gear shift%26quot; change, so t he sound stays bigger ( perhaps to you it still sounds like chest voice?) although it is on its way to being head voice.

I would recommend that you take lessons. An on-the-spot teacher will help you understand the various registers and gear shifts that happen in your voice in the way no on-line program can. A teacher can also describe to you what not to do and why ( physical damage!)

Most Ear, Nose, and Throat doctors' offices are filled with untrained singers who have damaged their instrument through lack of understanding what the voice does and what it cannot do.

The healthiest and most long-lasting solid basis for singing still comes from the classical branch. It's been around for over 400 years, so they must have got it right, huh?
  • hair highlights
  • parameter
  •